Crayfish, also known as crawfish, belongs to the sea food class like the crawdads, freshwater lobsters, mountain lobsters, mudbugs or yabbies, freshwater crustaceans and lobsters. It is added to so many dishes, stews and soups and it gives each food a special taste and aroma.
Fresh crayfish are generally eaten by different tribes in Nigeria, but it is mostly used by the igbos. It is called all kind of names: the Igbos call it Isha, the Yorubas call it Ede, while the Hausas has no name for it yet.
The prawns are bigger in size than crayfish and they are commonly found in large oceans and streams.
Crayfish is low in fat and it contains certain amounts of carbohydrates. It is rich in B Vitamins and minerals such as Calcium, Magnesium, Iron, Zinc and Phosphorous. Cray fish and prawns are similar in look and taste.
Crayfish are low in calories and are high in protein and minerals; it helps in reducing fat and maintains the diet in the body of anyone who is interested in weight and fat reduction in cholesterol, fat or calories.
Apart from their wonderful taste, cooked crayfish is a good source of proteins, vitamins and minerals.
CRAYFISH LIFE CIRCLE
The life circle of crayfish is quite different from all other animal life, they live mainly in the water and they are not different from lobsters, crabs, and prawn. Their life circle process is called molting.
This growth of Crayfish is drastically fast, reaching its adult size in 3-4 months and its life span is 3-8 years long.
FACTS ABOUT CRAYFISH
- Crayfish are fed with hot dogs and cat food.
- They have different colors, sandy yellow, pink, red, dark brown, and blue.
- Crayfish are quite similar to the lobster.
- They like being in cold environments
- Crayfish fight over their territory.
- They are believed to be immortal (animals that live forever)
HOW TO PRESERVE CRAYFISH
- Refrigerate within two hours of cooking.
- Refrigerate cooked crayfish in covered airtight containers.
- To freeze, place crayfish in airtight plastic containers or heavy-duty freezer bags.
- Freezer time shown is for best quality only – foods kept constantly frozen at 0°F will keep safe indefinitely.
- You can decide to blend your crayfish before use, but it’s best to blend it and keep it dry to preserve it well
- Pick out the dirt before blending it for preservation
- Put them in a tight safe bag to keep them from smelling and to avoid water penetrating it
- You can store the fresh crayfish in the deep freezer with stable light and you can store the dry crayfish in the fridge to avoid it from getting spoil.