Salt is generally known worldwide and it is seen as a reliable ingredient for food preservation and sweetener. The use of salt is accepted both home and abroad and it can be added to different dishes, stews and soup types( like rice, beans, yam, vegetable soup, fish stew etc.) It can be used to kill the germs in food, its serves as food seasoning. Too much intake of it is very harmful to the body.
Salt can also be used as a baking ingredient, they are found in most kitchens worldwide, it is very cheap and affordable generally and it is extracted from the sea water.
Saltis used for traditional occasions like naming ceremony, wedding, burial, Graduation etc.
It performs a lot of physiologic function in the body and it is best avoided by any hypertensive patient.
Table salt is sodium chloride combined with iodine sources (for nutrition), stabilizers for the iodine, and anti-caking compounds to make it pour by preventing it from absorbing water from the air.
- Salt serves as an oral re-hydration treatment to the body.
- It serves as an essential element in sustaining hydration of the body.
- It maintain the electrolyte balance for the smooth functioning of the human organ systems, these electrolytes primarily entail magnesium, potassium, calcium, and sodium.
- It controls the body blood pressure and cardiovascular health.
- It is a major component of Intravenous Saline IV Solution.
- It works as a treatment for sore throat.
- Salt helps in muscle cramp reduction after several exercise.
- It treats toothache and prevents it.
- Salt helps in treating nasal and sinus problem known as Chronic Rhinosinusitis
- It is used for manicure and pedicure treatment.
SALT DISADVANTAGES TO THE BODY
- Excessive sodium in the diet has many serious, dangerous side effects.
- When the kidneys which naturally balance sodium levels, cannot excrete sufficient sodium, it begins to aggregate in the blood.
- Too much sodium can lead to high blood pressure as well as fluid build-up in people with congestive heart failure, cirrhosis or kidney disease.
- These conditions make it hard for the kidneys to balance sodium levels.
- Extra sodium causes the body to retain water, increasing blood volume and causing the heart to work harder to move blood, placing more pressure on the arteries.
- Increased blood pressure can ultimately lead to heart disease, heart failure or stroke.